8th GERN Summer School on Making Strategic Choices in Social Science Research
Ghent, 21-23 March 2022
About the event
The GERN Summer School is a joint event, organized yearly in collaboration with different universities under the umbrella of the GERN-group (https://www.gern-cnrs.com/index.php/archives/ecoles-dete/). This course aims to bring together PhD students from different (criminology related) disciplines and different universities and nationalities. The overall aim of the course is to support PhD students in making strategic choices in their methodology.
The course will be given in English and will count as one specialist course for the doctoral training programme (Doctoral Schools), provided that participants register correctly (see below: submission of abstract, paper and payment), participate actively and give a presentation during the Summer School. The participants get the opportunity to publish their paper in the GERN Research Paper Series (if the paper is accepted after the review procedure).
What to expect?
- Methodology sessions by international experts
- Interactive sessions
- PhD presentations (with a focus on methodology)
- Intensive feedback (presentation and paper)
- Opportunity to submit paper in the GERN Research Paper Series
- Fuller program (will be uploaded)
PhD students undertaking doctoral research on criminology-related topics. The Summer School is probably best suited to PhD students who are in the beginning/first year of their research project.
Deadlines & schedule
- Abstract submission: 5 September 2021 (by mail to Antoinette.Verhage@UGent.be & Tom.VanderBeken@UGent.be)
The abstract should be a paper of two pages setting out the PhD students' theoretical framework, concepts and research findings/research plans. It should be sent in together with the application form and a letter of engagement from the PhD student's supervisor, agreeing to support them.
- Recognition of acceptance: 30 September 2021
- Deadline first draft paper: 16 January 2022 (by mail to Antoinette.Verhage@UGent.be & Tom.VanderBeken@UGent.be);
- Deadline payment fee: 31 January 2022 (€60 for members of a GERN institution and €140 for members of a non-GERN institution); Instructions on payment procedures will be given upon acceptance.
The papers must be written in English and can contain up to 6000 words. The papers should be sent in in MS Word format, authors should use APA 7th for citations and references.